Planning Institute of BC: Media Release; Former City Planner Wins Award for Abu Dhabi Project
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA–(EMWPresswire – July 21, 2008) – The Planning Institute of BC (PIBC) has recognized former Vancouver Director of Planning Larry Beasley with an Award of Excellence.
Plan Abu Dhabi 2030 was coordinated by Beasley and Associates Planning, in association with Busby Perkins and Will Architects and Civitas Urban Design and Planning. It was granted special recognition at the PIBC’s annual awards ceremony to acknowledge the challenge of planning in such a unique cultural context and within a limited planning and legislative framework.
“This framework plan serves as a showcase for Canadian planners and sets a high benchmark for international urban planning,” said PIBC President Hazel Christy.
Commissioned by the Government of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, Beasley and partner firms developed a substantive plan to guide future development in the capital city of Abu Dhabi over a 25-year timeframe.
The PIBC, through its Awards Committee and Awards Program, recognizes excellence in the planning profession and amongst its members. Other award winners included:
– City of Vancouver: Oakridge Centre Policy Statement (Site Planning and Design over $50,000)
– City of Kelowna: Downtown Sign Plan (Site Planning and Design $50,000 and under)
– City of Terrace: Airport Lands Area Concept Plan (Comprehensive Policy and Plans $50,000 and under)
– Westland Resource Group Inc.: Cowichan Basin Water Management Plan (Comprehensive Policy and Plans over $50,000)
– City of Whitehorse: Whistle Bend Planning and Design Charette (Award of Excellence – Honourable Mention)
– Hope Burns, Director of Planning, District of Central Saanich (2008 Planner of the Year)
The Planning Institute of BC is an association of BC and Yukon professional planners. Members work in a variety of fields, including land use planning, environmental resource management, land development, heritage conservation, social planning, transportation planning and economic development.
Major Newsire & Press Release Distribution with Basic Starting at only $19 and Complete OTCBB / Financial Distribution only $89